How to Paint the Best Paddle Ever
1. Buy a paddle - There are all types of different sizes and shapes. It's best to pick one that isn't super narrow so that you have space to work with.
2. Paint your base coats - I usually start off by putting several layers of just acrylic paint down so that none of the wood grain shows through, but you can also use spray primer.
3. Decide on your background - I see a lot of really cute paddles, but when the background is too busy, the names don't show up or it just looks too cluttered. My favorite thing to do is to do a cute prints inside the letters with a solid color background (I'll usually paint the edges a different color), or simple patterns like stripes, quatrefoil or chevron.
4. Do your letters - I usually just free hand them but they are basically just cute block letters! I love doing Lilly prints on the inside, because let's get real, what sorority girl doesn't love Lilly? It's fun to pick different prints that match the girls personality! Once you finish painting your letters, outline them in paint pen - it really makes it look finished!
5. Add the name - I usually do names with just a paint pen in black or white. You want them to be able to show up. I also like writing their pledge class and the school name so when your fabulous creation ends up on pinterest, people know what school to be jealous of ;).
Viola! Your masterpiece is complete!